Visions of the American Press
The Series: "Visions of the American Press"
THE MEDILL IMPRINT OF THE NORTHWESTERN UNIVERSITY PRESS: Announcing a a multi-volume historical series entitled "Visions of the American Press," covering a range of topics will both reach as far back into the past as Milton's "Areopagitica" and The Enlightenment and be as contemporaneous as an examination of journalism's role in the Information-Entertainment Economy. Please make your selection from the items below:
- News Story - An article from the Medill School of Journalism web site on the status of the "Visions of the American Press" series, dated October 7, 2005.
- Original Announcement - A press release issued by the Medill School of Journalism and the Northwestern University Press on August 20, 2003, announcing their plans for the new "Visions of the American Press" series.
MATERIALS FOR PROSPECTIVE AUTHORS:
- Title List - To provide a suggestion of the concept, scope and range of the proposed new series, this is a tentative list of current possible titles under consideration for inclusion.
- Proposal Outline - To assist prospective authors in proposing individual volumes for the series, an outline format for proposals can be found here. For guidelines related to this outline, please see the link immediately below.
- Proposal Guidelines - It is hoped that these specific instructions regarding the Proposal Outline, available here in a PDF format (Adobe Acrobat Reader required), will prove of use to prospective authors.
- Sample Proposals - With their authors' kind permission, these are sample proposals for volumes in the series. Intended to serve as an examples, both are large (600+K) PDF files. The difference between the two is that the organizational structure of one is chronological, while the other is thematic.
MATERIALS FOR ASSIGNED READERS:
- Reader's Report Guidelines - To assist readers who have been assigned to review and report on original proposals for volumes for the series, a set of guidelines can be found here in a PDF file. Also included in a copy of a "Reader's Waiver."
- Reader's Report Guidelines for Reprints - To assist readers who have been assigned to review and report on books being considered for reprinting in the series, a set of guidelines are available as a PDF file. Also included in a copy of a "Reader's Waiver."
- Reader's Payment Forms - This is a PDF file containing two forms (a "Contract Services Form" and "Vendor Code Request Form") necessary to process payments to readers. When needed, please download, print out, complete and fax to David at (847) 332-1088.
MATERIALS FOR CONTRACTED AUTHORS:
- Manuscript Sample - An assemble sample manuscript, intended to assist authors under contract in preparing manuscripts. Also included is downloadable MS Word version of same.
- File Preparation Guidelines - A set of suggestions and recommendations dealing with the details of file formating...also intended to assist authors in preparing manuscripts.
- Endnote Guidelines - Updated instructions intended to assist authors under in preparing the endnotes for their manuscripts. Also included are detailed samples of the endnote and bibliography formats required by The Chicago Manual of Style.
You might also want to take a look at the Northwestern University Press's Home Page.